India’s Top Comedians Are Coming Up With Something Special & ‘Uncensored’ On Amazon Prime Video
Arjun is a Pulitzer Prize winning journalist who, before stepping into the glamorous world of entertainment reporting, assisted acclaimed filmmakers like Quentin Tarantino, James Cameron and Christopher Nolan.
Latest posts by Arjun Varma (see all)
- 5 Indian YouTube Artists With Great Bollywood Covers And Mashups - April 21, 2018
- Web Series Preview 2017: Our Roundup Of The Most Exciting Shows Releasing Online This Year - February 7, 2017
- TVF Founder Arunabh Kumar Like Never Before: Watch His Candid Interaction With IIM Bangalore Crowd [Video] - January 29, 2017
Come May, Amazon Prime Video will start rolling out 14 “uncensored” stand-up comedy specials featuring some of India top comedians. The VOD (Video On Demand) service, which was launched in India last month, has partnered with media company Only Much Louder (OML) for these exclusive specials.
As per the official announcement by Amazon Prime Video, “Each of the hour-long specials will debut on the platform exclusively by May 2017 and will be available to viewers on Amazon Prime Video India and globally across 200 countries and territories.”
The comedians whose specials will be released as part of this arrangement, include:
● Sapan Verma (Obsessive Comedic Disorder has already launched on Amazon Prime Video in December 2016)
● Sorabh Pant (My dad thinks he’s funny has already launched on Amazon Prime Video)
● Kanan Gill
● Kenny Sebastian (Don’t be that guy)
● Zakir Khan, (Single magar haq se)
● Biswa Kalyan Rath
● Naveen Richard (Don’t make that face)
● Anuvab Pal (Alive at 40)
● Varun Thakur (Vicky this side, Varun that side)
● Azeem Banatwalla (Cometh the hour)
● Neville Shah
● Aadar Malik (Stand up – The Musical)
● S Aravind (Madrasi Da)
● EIC Outrage special – a live show based on EIC’s immensely popular EIC Outrage series will be part of the series.
These specials will be shot by the OML team at venues across the country in the first half of 2017, and two to three specials will be released on Amazon Prime Video every month.
If you’re wondering whether Amazon intends to censor these videos, as has been the case with some of the movies streaming on its platform, you can breathe a sigh of relief.
During a press conference held yesterday (Jan 19) to announce the stand-up specials, Nitesh Kripalani, Director and Country Head, Amazon India assured that there will be ‘zero censorship’ on the content that will be streamed.
“The idea is to give them complete freedom and not censor any of their jokes. We believe in retaining the integrity of the source material,” he said.